David Thomson of DC Thomson
David Thomson is COO of DC Thomson, a private company and one of the leading media organisations in the UK. It is headquartered in Dundee, Scotland, with a London base in the world-famous Fleet Street. The company publishes more than 200 million comics, magazines, and newspapers every year and has diversified into new media, digital technology, retail and television interests. In 2018, revenues were in excess of £207 million and the company employs more than 2,100 staff.
The DC Thomson Group includes:
- Global genealogy company Findmypast.
- Leading IT business services provider Brightsolid.
- Premium gifting business Wild & Wolf.
- Multimedia studio Beano Studios.
- DC Thomson Media, one of the leading content creators in the UK, publishing newspapers, magazines & comics. It has an extensive e-commerce and events portfolio.
- Discovery Print, award winning contract newspaper printers, printing a range of Regional and National Daily titles as well as Weekly and Sunday titles including The Press and Journal, The Courier and The Sunday Post.
- Magazine publishers Puzzler Media.
- The Stylist Group a female focused media company which encompasses live events, a creative agency and products targeted to metropolitan women.
- DC Thomson Ventures is the venture capital arm of the company. It targets companies built on pioneering intellectual property, exploiting new business models that have the potential to transform the economics of the market.
DC Thomson works hard to properly communicate and engage with its employees, across the UK & internationally, keeping them up to date with business initiatives and performance, consulting and seeking feedback on a regular basis. The Learning & Development team at DC Thomson regularly engages with teams in all companies and a number of initiatives have been introduced as a result including Lifestyle MOTs and Mindfulness programmes which sit alongside the established staff learning and development programmes.
DC Thomson is an established family enterprise that has origins in the entrepreneurship of William Thomson in the early 19th century when the firm’s main business was in shipping. During the mid-19th Century, the Thomson family invested in publishing, taking an interest in the Dundee Courier and buying it in 1886.
Throughout the course of the 20th Century, DC Thomson became one of the UK’s leading publishers. The diversification of the business today highlights the entrepreneurial flair of the firm.
The company currently has four directors, Andrew F Thomson, Christopher HW Thomson, David Thomson and Richard Hall, all of whom are descendants of the founder. Other members of the Thomson family continue to work within the business.
In 2018 along, DC Thomson won some of the top trophies at the Scottish Press Awards, The Newspaper and Magazine Awards, The Regional Press Awards and British Media Awards, including the Sunday Post being names the Scottish Newspaper of the Year. Beano Studios won numerous awards including Best Children’s Website, Children’s Magazine of the Year and Dennis & Gnasher Unleashed becoming the most popular show on CBBC.
David has a BA Hons in Politics, Management, History and Economics and prior to joining DC Thomson in 2003, he worked for 7 years with Pricewaterhouse Cooper. He is a Non-Executive Director of the V & A in Dundee alongside our Conference Panel Debate member Tim Allan who chairs the Board.