23rd Mar: WeDO Inspiration with Pete Higgins
23 March 2021
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
“I am really looking forward to sharing my journey with some of the challenges and highlights I experienced along the way and also what the future holds. Very few entrepreneurs succeed on their own. I’ll explain how a non-scientific creative with an idea for the food industry, managed to raise $1m in America, persuade a hard nosed judging panel that a food label is worthy of a national life science innovation award that went on to make inroads into pharmaceuticals and aerospace. All of this would not have been possible without having the right team behind me.”
Pete started his business journey earlier than most. He started his first job at the age of 8 doing a paper round, followed by working in his parents’ newsagent. He quickly realised that they bought goods at the cash and carry at one price, then sold them in their shop for a much higher price. He thought was pure magic and this was the beginning of him learning how businesses worked.
Pete studied architecture and went on to work for 2 major practices as well as a year with a major house builder. In 2001, he launched his first entrepreneurial venture, CGI Media, a successful multi-media agency with an impressive client base. It was in 2008 (whilst making a sandwich!) that Pete had his next entrepreneurial lightbulb moment and founded UWI Technology, a smart labelling system. He recruited an experienced team who believed in the concept and set up a pilot production line that created the most accurate patented elapsed time indicator labels available. It was certainly a journey and half.
UWI TECHNOLOGY HIGHLIGHTS
- UWI were the first Scottish company to receive investment from an US based angel syndicate – a syndicate that was specifically set up to invest in UWI. $1m was raised.
- Winner of WeDO Scotland’s Most Innovative Business Award.
- Winner of Scottish Enterprise’s Life Science Award for Innovation.
- Winner of Barclays Entrepreneurial Nationwide Award + £50k prize.
- Giving annual talks at Intelligent Packaging conferences in America, Europe and China, being able to share the stage with global brands.
In 2019, Pete founded Petaurum Ventures which was initially set up to assist start up companies raise investment by getting them investor ready. He also works with established companies who are looking for further investment, working with them to put systems and processes in place that will assist them to scale as smoothly as possible. Pete began to be approached by investors looking to find a particular type of company to invest in, so all of a sudden, Petaurum started to become a match making service.
PETAURUM VENTURES CLIENTS
- Equestrian technology company developing a new and innovative saddle.
- Social Enterprise company developing reusable sanitary pads.
- Circular Economy company extracting high value natural chemicals from used coffee grounds.
- Software company developing project management software using artificial intelligence.
- Software company developing a digital behavioural health platform to help individuals. deal with mental welfare assisted by artificial intelligence.
- UK’s fastest growing body shop repair company.
You can add this event to your calendar and will receive the Zoom link details in your registration confirmation email.