- October Edinburgh Masterclass
October 10, 2018
3:30 pm - 5:30 pm
**MEMBERS ONLY EVENT **
This is the fourth Masterclass in our 2018 series following the cycle of a business and is focusing on maximising the sales value of your business and escalating the return from acquisitions.
WHAT WILL BE COVERED:
- What is the value of anything?
- Examples of returns that defy logic.
- Who are the players in a sale or acquisition and what are their drivers.
- The traditional value in two businesses being together.
- Finding synergy in a target.
- Using Masterclass attendee’s businesses as an example.
- Brainstorming the key aspects of a great deal.
- How could or should acquisitions or exit fit in with your strategy.
- Who should be involved in this process.
- Getting your ducks in a row.
WHAT WILL ATTENDEES LEARN:
- How to establish maximum value in your business.
- Not everything is about EBITDA.
- What a good acquisition target looks like.
- Why someone would pay more than you imagine for a business.
- How to create a long term plan for selling or buying.
- How to keep your options open.
- The activities you should be doing no matter what.
- That there are no rules.
We’re delighted to be welcoming Brian Williamson, winner of our 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award as the speaker at this Masterclass. Brian was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his significant contribution to the Scottish entrepreneurial community and beyond.
Brian is an engineer, a professional businessman and an award-winning entrepreneur. He draws on the knowledge and experience he gained in a fast-advancing managerial career in industry, and from his success in high growth business situations. He has a mix of acute commercial awareness and a keen eye for entrepreneurial opportunities. Brian has utilised his considerable interpersonal skills to allow him to complete a number of investments and exits for both himself and others.
In 2017 Brian was recognised by Glasgow Caledonian University for his contribution to entrepreneurship with an Honorary Doctorate.
Brian is a bowel cancer survivor. After an operation, post-op chemotherapy and two years of monitoring Brian has been given the all clear. This life changing event has brought greater focus to his life and business dealings: Brian now works with businesses in both a shareholding and a non-shareholding capacity to realise and maximise investor value.
He believes in life-long learning and we only lose our way in business when we lose the appetite for learning.
BUSINESS INTERESTS 2017/18
- Jumpstart (2009 – present) Director and CEO and from September 2017 Non Exec
This is a company that specialises in the construction and submission of R&D tax relief claims. It does this by hiring scientists and training them through a self-built on line academy and now employs 70 people. Brian recruited and trained a 49 strong contingent based self-employed sales force. He built this business with no cash into the fastest growing SME in Scotland between 2010-13 as recognised by Business Insider. In 2014 he secured a £3.4m investment from BGF which valued the business at £12m. From zero to £12m in five years.
- ThinkWhere (April 2017 to present) Chairman
Brian was recruited as Chairman to deliver an exit plan for 2 local authority shareholders and return the business into private hands. Currently this software business delivers Geographical Information systems and data sharing solutions on a global basis. The current shareholders wish Brian to take the ownership of the business from public to private ownership.
- Miigen (August 2017 to present) Chairman
Miigen is a social impact platform for individuals and families. It allows them to establish a personal time capsule which will be the story of their life and a legacy to leave to the generations to come. Brian’s role is to support the CEO to raise £250k of seed funding (complete) and to raise second round funding in 2018.
- Kissing with Confidence (August 2016 to present) Entrepreneur in Residence
KWC is a business that specialises in business development training and is some twenty years old. It works for the largest professional organisations such as the Big 4 accountancy practices and some of the country’s leading law firms. Brian’s role is to guide them through their high growth phase and be an ambassador for the business.
- Brightwork Ltd (2006-2017) Chairman. SOLD 2017.
This is a company, which was born out of the Management Buy Out from Hudson, the international recruitment company. Brian steered the growth sales from £5m at point of purchase to £36m by December 16. The business was sold in May 17 for an 8.1 multiple of EBITDA returning to founding shareholders 75 times their original investment.
In 2017 Brian was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by Glasgow Caledonian University for his contribution to entrepreneurship.
Brian believes in life-long learning and we only lose our way in business when we lose the appetite for learning.
With thanks to our Masterclass sponsors: