Our 2013 Conference 'Building an Entrepreneurial Scotland'
Our 2013 conference took place on the 23rd of May at Dynamic Earth?where we welcomed 73 attendees to what was an inspiring, motivational and enjoyable day.
From the start of the day there was a fantastic buzz with delegates making many new contacts which is what we love to see.
We were delighted to have some of Scotland’s most distinguished speakers join us – Bill Jamieson, founder of Scot-Buzz and formerly Executive Editor of the Scotsman newspaper, David Sole?OBE, co-founder of the School for CEOs in London and former Scotland rugby captain and winner of our Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2012, Gavin Oattes, Managing Director of Tree of Knowledge.
Bill was our first speaker and he gave us a fantastic overview of the the economy and businesses in Scotland interspersed with great humour. ?The facts and figures that he manages to commit to memory are nothing short of miraculous. We were delighted to hear that there are?39,000 SMEs in Scotland employing around 1 million people which is a record high.? His key message was that?micro businesses can trump macro businesses, 95% of UK businesses have less than 10 employees and that?helping each other will drive economic recovery, we couldn’t agree more.
David followed on from Bill and again kept the audience engaged with a witty and candid overview of leadership. ?Key messages from David were that to it’s the how of leadership that makes the difference between good and great leaders. ?It’s essential to ?create a vision that engages your team and that great?leaders attribute success to others rather than themselves, ?driving performance is key. ?We loved his ‘May the force of ?leadership be with you’ JEDI approach?
- J -?judgement
- E –?execution, edge, emotional intelligence
- D -?drive, decision-making, development
- I -?influence, inspire, innovate
- Customer Service & Social Media Marketing: ?the blurring lines with Gordon White of fatbuzz
- Selecting & Getting the Most from Non-Executive Directors with Jack Ogston and Luke Rodwell of Talent Focus
- Getting Your Business Plan & Investment Memorandum Investor Ready with Malcolm Kpedekpo of Panoramic Equity Growth
- From Business Owner to Business Leader with Gillian Brown from Full Circle Development
- Effective Marketing that Drives Business Growth with Justin Hutton-Penman from Flock Creative
- Going for Gold in Sales with Iain Swanston of Invixo
- Improve your Chances of Business Success through Effective Employee Relations with Diane Miller of RBS Mentor
- Protecting Your Business in the Digital Age with Professor Stewart Brymer of Brymer Legal