What was your first job after leaving school/further education?
I taught English through a company called English Opening to the good people of Sabadell – an hour from Barcelona.
When did you start your business & what prompted you to do it?
June 2002 – I met my Business partner, Fraser Hogg at Picardy Media Group – where we worked in the Digital / Interactive department. Digital wasn’t PMG’s focus back then so we started Radiator with the owner’s blessing.
What did you find most challenging at the beginning?
We were lucky to secure Coca-Cola, Drambuie and Diageo in our first 18 months, so were too preoccupied to consider whether anything was challenging or not.
Who did you ask for advice & why did you choose them?
Lesley Hetherington at Strathclyde University’s Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship provided a good steer in our early years. As did my Dad, Archie Hunter, who was a CA and scrutinised our figures – if not our Creative process…!
How did you fund your business?
Happy clients – who almost all paid on time.
What would you do differently now looking back?
We have a no bull**** approach at Radiator – but could have benefited from more chest-beating during our early years.
What or who has helped you to grow your business the most?
Word of mouth & reputation built on customer service, creativity and marketing ROI.
What have been the biggest challenges you’ve faced?
Established Advertising companies becoming digital in recent years has certainly made the market more competitive. Attracting and retaining good people has also had its challenges.
What are the future plans for your business?
Continue to focus on supporting client relationships through the creation of valuable online presences – leading to continued year-on-year growth.
What advice would you give to anyone wanting to set up their own business?
Set out your plan for your first year with a focus on your customers’ challenges and how your solutions address these challenges and take them where they want to go.
Tell us something about you that isn’t commonly known.
I won the Scottish Schools Tennis Championships in 1995 – but did have Davis Cup Captain, Leon Smith in our team – who I obviously carried 😉
And finally, why did you join WeDO?
I was introduced by Nick Cohen from PCR, who I have known for a number of years – so I paid attention to his introduction.
Meeting Belinda at my first Supper Club, my fellow guests and the speaker, Brian Williamson confirmed that the people and environment were what I was looking for – so all played a part in sealing the deal for me!
ABOUT RADIATOR DIGITAL
Radiator build brands online through strategic marketing and user experiences:
- A fully integrated Digital Agency – we embrace the complete user journey from awareness to conversion through our in-house team of experts
- Passionate about online success – we live & breathe all things digital with an enthusiasm that drives our clients’ brands
- Dynamic ideas, innovative problem solvers – we are an adaptable & responsive team, experienced but agile
- Customer focussed – we are friendly, approachable & listen, responding in an easy to understand way that is jargon free, leaving you assured & motivated
- A results-orientated approach – we grasp your culture, customers & products before positioning your brand in the right places online
- Proven industry experience across the public & private sector: including Edinburgh Zoo, MacTaggart & Mickel Group, Clyde Blowers Capital, People Make Glasgow, Scot JCB, Maven Capital Partners & EICC